Tuesday, September 08, 2009

holga in hawaii. photographs from a plastic camera.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

hi, i'm still behind on writing the posts about my wonderful trip to Hawaii, but thought I'd post some photographs from my Holga camera, that I purchased a few years back for only $14.95. this along with my lomo lc-a are probably my favorite cameras I own because of the unexpected results and texture the film captures. enjoy, the poke party is coming soon!

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

holga in hawaii. 2009.

13 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Ooh, neato. Does the vignetting happen naturally with an Holga?

Tricerapops said...

i anxiously await your report on the poke you and your wife ingested during your trip.

THE ACTORS DIET said...

gorgeous pix.

Michael said...

Again it goes to show you that it's the photographer and not the camera that creates the greatest shots.

Love the photography!

e d b m said...

Weezer, yes the vignetting happens because of the curvature from the plastic lens. some people hate it, most people love it.

TripletDad, I will post very soon! I am still teeming with mercury.

Actors Diet/Michael, thanks!

Smokeydoke said...

OMG, there's people that actually use Holga cameras!

I can't wait to show my bf, who use to sell camera equipment. He was explaining Holga cameras to me a few weeks ago. Did you develop the film then scan it?

It's awesome to see people still using film, although it really is a dead art. Let's bring it back!

e d b m said...

SmokeyDoke, for there are people still using Holgas and Lomos. It's not a cheap hobby but definitely a rewarding one when you get pleasant results. The only problem with shooting with the Holga is that you use 120 film, and that yields 12-16 exposures. The Lomo is a 35 mm, and yields 24-36 exposures. I had the film developed and scanned it on my work scanner. Laborious but fun in my opinion.

Suzanne Tadros said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Food, she thought. said...

Those snaps are positively dreamy. I miss Waikiki.

e d b m said...

Suzanne, FoodSheThought, thanks! This camera really is great. I love the unpredictability of it.

poll said...

You share valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up. Please come visit my site Philadelphia Business Directory when you got time.

Dloi said...

Hi! Stumbled upon your blog when I was researching LOMO. Do some of the pictures on your site come directly from a LOMO camera or do you mimic the effects on Photoshop? I've been researching on the various ways to achieve the LOMO effect through PS and was just curious about your pictures as they are amazing!

Thanks!

e d b m said...

Dloi, that's the beauty of shooting with this plastic camera. the lens itself is plastic and takes in light in a unique manner. the vignetting is all natural too. and of course the film used is imperative - i shot with Fuji Pro 400. the only photoshop done is the removal of artifacts acquired during the scanning process. hope that helps. if you're in LA, you can visit the Holga headquarters at Freestyle Photo in Hollywood.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis