Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mark Menjivar - You Are What You Eat

It's amazing how you can tell a lot about a person by looking at their CD or DVD collection. Guys, if you're ever at a girl's place for the first time and she has movies like "The Notebook", "Titanic" or "A Walk to Remember", do yourself a favor and exit the building ASAP. You're in for an unscripted, real-life romcom. Yikes.

Or how about someone that has Celine Dion LIVE or Mandy Moore Unplugged on CD. Is it a coincidence that both Celine Dion and Mandy Moore are involved with shitty music and shitty movies.

And Texas-based photographer, Mark Menjivar, knows that you can tell a lot by what a person eats. I go through photographer portfolios frequently in advertising, and particularly look for interesting projects. Thought I might share this one.

"You Are What You Eat is a series of portraits made by examining the interiors of refrigerators in homes across the Untied States.

For three years I traveled around the country exploring the issue of hunger. The more time I spent speaking and listening to individual stories, the more I began to think about the foods we consume and the effects they have on us as individuals and communities. An intense curiosity and questions about stewardship led me to begin to make these unconventional portraits.

A refrigerator is both a private and a shared space. One person likened the question, "May I photograph the interior of your fridge?" to asking someone to pose nude for the camera. Each fridge is photographed "as is." Nothing added, nothing taken away.

These are portraits of the rich and the poor. Vegetarians, Republicans, members of the NRA, those left out, the under appreciated, former soldiers in Hitler’s SS, dreamers, and so much more. We never know the full story of one's life.

My hope is that we will think deeply about how we care. How we care for our bodies. How we care for others. And how we care for the land." - Mark Menjivar

Mark Menjivar - You Are What You Eat Project

Bartender's fridge. Goes to sleep at 8am and wakes up at 4pm daily. My good friend's lifestyle is exactly like this. He comes home in the morning, sleeps during the day and eats take-out. It's a Groundhog Day lifestyle. But you make the tips and you get the chicks. Works for him. BTW, why is there an American flag chilling inside there?

Mark Menjivar - You Are What You Eat Project

Street Advertiser that lives on $432 fixed monthly income. This is very sad. Even college kids utilize the space better with their cheap beer and midnight burritos.

Mark Menjivar - You Are What You Eat Project

Botanist from Indiana. Says that he likes plants more than people. I like how the Pepsi bottle was converted into a giant, cap-less water bottle. And that chili on the right doesn't look promising.

Mark Menjivar - You Are What You Eat Project

And this is probably the most interesting one. A werewolf that likes Jose Cuervo? I like the frozen lemon in there – his only source of vitamins.

What's in my fridge?
Jeni actually brought up a funny point. Before she met me, her fridge/freezer was full of snacky stuff like our favorite frozen pizza, Jeno's, chicken strips and take-out. Now her fridge is full of exotic Asian sauces, all types of ball-shaped processed meats that I love (fish, beef, pork, shrimp, mushroom), vegetables, egg noodles and ice.

What's in your fridge usually? Thanks for reading.

23 comments:

Louise said...

I did a post of what's in my fridge. It looks a little sparse because we usually buy groceries every few days, so we only get just what we'll eat for dinner to cut down on wasting too much spoiled produce.

http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2009/05/whats-in-my-fridge/

Anonymous said...

Dirty dirty fridges man. I have the urge to clean them!!! Even the empty ones are dirty!

maybelle's mom said...

It is a voyeuristic interest of mine to see what is in peoples fridge--I always have milk, butter, yogurt, a bazillions asian sauces, condiments, braggs liquid aminos, yeast, carrots, potatoes and onions. Gosh, mine is really full.

weezermonkey said...

This is really interesting. Our fridge is sort of like the bartender's but not even close to being as full.

I don't cook, but we can walk to the supermarket, so we rarely have anything sitting in our fridge for any extended period of time. If we want to eat something, we just walk and get it.

BoLA said...

Muhaha! Loved this post. Won't admit to what's in the fridge... which reminds me, I need to go to the market soon. ;)

ASSHOLE BOYFRIEND said...

fridgewatcher.com is a great site for this kind of thing.

EatTravelEat said...

AH! The first one scares me a lot. I don't think I have ever crammed so much takeout boxes into my fridge before. Well...maybe that is also because we try to finish leftovers ASAP.

I agree, the empty looking fridge is very sad. That only happens to me only when we are on vacation, and still, our fridge doesn't get that empty.

melissa said...

did anyone notice a freezer that contained a yellow snake on the top right hand corner? it's on mark menjivar's site. perhaps it's the owner's pet snake that died?

"Tramie" said...

Cool! This is really interesting!!! I've always liked to look in people's fridge. And at home, from time to time, I open the fridge just to stare in there without any intention LOL!!!!

Mine has a lot of fruits, vegetables, left-over home-cooked meals bc I eat like a bird, yogurt, eggs (my baking frenzies) funky asian sauces and a full bottle of ketchup bc I buy it once and only use it that 1 time

SinoSoul said...

FML, I've watched the Celion Dion Live in Blu Ray. It was friggin' spectacular on a 80" projector screen. *bow head in shame*

Right now, the fridge is stuffed with a dozen plus pineapples. Someone take 'em away from me.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Louise, your fridge tells me your quite sane. That is a good thing. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous, the bartender's fridge is interesting. I'm guessing over half of the boxes contain some moldy lifeform.

Maybelle's mom, psycho people look at people's medicine cabinets. psycho foodies look at people's fridges. i have one friend who only has beer, mustard and kimchi in his fridge – everytime.

CrazyTownMonkey, haha. That's a great way to not let food go to waste.

BOLA, i already know what's in Mac's fridge haha.

Asshole Boyfriend, love the name AND license plate. thanks for the link.

ETE, yeah that fridge is SUPER SAD.

Melissa, i didn't see that! Bizarre!

Tramie, how many people here own Sriracha?!

Sinosoul, hahaha. Celine Dion Live in Blue Ray WITH Multiple Angles and Deleted Footage. Awesome.

Marketing said...

I am deeply in love with every single piece of information you post here. Will be back often to read more updates! Please come visit my site Promotional products when you got time.

Postal services said...

Glad I stumbled into this article! Finally, got what I was looking for to put on my school report... Thanks for sharing this. Please come visit my site Postal office locator when you got time.

Pandalicious said...

very interesting fridges.. esp, the first one.

mine is mostly liquids, soy milk, water, wine, champagne.. and some carrots and spinach for good measure.

Sandy Peterson said...

Hello mate, I want to thank you for this nice blog. Would you mind telling me some secrets for a succesful blog ? Which could attract some visitors than it normally does. Please come visit my site Adoption Agencies Directory when you got time.

H. C. said...

mine's a hodgepodge of sauces/condiments, semi-ready-to-eat stuff (makings of a salad or soup that I plan on gussying up), produce in single-people-friendly portions (usually by way of Fresh & Easy) and the occasional takeout, six-pack of beer or bottle of wine.

Anonymous said...

童裝批發
童裝批發
童裝
童裝
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店經紀人
酒店現領
禮服店
酒店小姐
酒店兼職
酒店上班
酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店上班
酒店打工
酒店小姐
酒店經紀
酒店兼差
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
寒暑假打工
專業酒店經紀
酒店藝名
台北酒店
酒店日保
酒店入行
台北禮服店
酒店類型
酒店午場
酒店規定
酒店行政
酒店資訊

poll said...

I really liked your blog! Please come visit my site Anaheim Business Directory when you got time.

poll said...

Can you provide more information on this? I am new to the subject. Please come visit my site Bakersfield Business Directory when you got time.

orlando airport parking said...

sorry to ask this here but… I really love your theme, would it happen to be a free one i can download somewhere, or is it a custom theme you had made? Soon i will be launching my own blog, however i’m not great with designs but i do like the style of your site so it would be excellent if i could find (or buy) something with a similar look as my last designer cannot finish my site. Thanks! Please come visit my site Parking Lot Garage Directory when you got time.

Roofing Contractors said...

Hello, What enticed you to post this article. It was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for info on this subject last Thursday. Please come visit my site Metal Roofing when you got time.

Neon Sign said...

I really liked your post on home financing! if you have more information elsewhere let me know. Please come visit my site Neon Signs and give me any valuable feedbacks.

arizona home builders said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it :) I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Please visit my Please visit my blog when you have time Please come visit my site Realtor Home Builders Directory when you got time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis