Monday, June 05, 2006

Angelo Pietro's Raw Potato Salad


When I was in Hawaii last year, I was stoked to find out that there was an Angelo Pietro restaurant. Angelo Pietro manufactures some of the best tasting salad dressings. I'm not one for salad, not even a giant taco salad, but this dressing does wonders. For this dish, the restaurant used the Sesame-Miso flavor. Because of my high cholesterol, I felt a salad would do me some good. It's a light, quick and tasty meal.

Party Time
(1) Peel the potatoes and dunk them in some water right away. Add a little vinegar so that they don't oxidize as quickly. Chill this in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
(2) When you're ready to eat, run the potatoes throw a vegetable grater or mandolin. Put them in a bowl of ice water right away. You wanna serve this as quickly as possible or the potatoes will oxidize.
(3) Have the radish sprouts, bonito flakes, green onions, furikake and Angelo Pietro's Sesame-Miso dressing on hand. Fried garlic is optional. I had some on hand and just tossed them in for some extra flavor.
(4) Strain the grated potatoes and squeeze out as much water as possible. Add the toppings and pour the sauce all over. Enjoy.


***The Sesame-Miso is quite acidic, if you love the flavor of sesame oil, it wouldn't hurt to add a few drops to counter the acidity.

Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

Yuzu said...

I remember your obsession with square plates. Haha! That's a nice-lookin' salad. But raw potatoes? I prefer them fried. ;P

Tokyoastrogirl said...

How do these raw potatoes taste? Is it sort of like daikon? I'd think they would be really starchy but it certainly looks great.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Yuzu,

Yes and I am getting very tired of them. I need to get something new soon. Might have to hit up the 98 cent marukai store soon.

TAG, the raw potatoes tasted great. Texture of daikon, but not as bitter of course - depending on the type of potatoes you use. I used standard brown baking potatoes. I'm sure yukon gold would taste better. After grating the potatoes, i threw them in water and it got foamy and starchy. Simply rinse them with water and drain out excess and it'll taste great.

Do you like Angelo Pietro dressings?

Anonymous said...

where's the famous food key?

Jeni said...

Can you deep fry this dish for me?

Kirk said...

Hey EDBM - I know people who are addicted to this! I'm making sure to forward this recipe to them.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Anonymous, it's the posting below.

Jeni, you deep fry it!

Kirk, thanks a lot. Make sure you tell them I'm nowhere close to being Thai. I'm chinese haha.

k said...

There used to be a Pietros' in Torrance but it closed down a couple of years ago. I really liked the food...but apparently didn't catch on over here.

Your salad looks scrumptious...always looking for something with texture. Though I'm with Little Yuzu and Jeni...Fried=good! =)

Great Post!

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Doh! I would be there at least once a month. I don't like italian food that much, but Japanese-style italian food rocks. Mmmm.... do you use their salad dressings too?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I Found Absolutely FREE PlayBoy & PentHouse:
http://www.playmates-girls.com
http://www.oxpe.net
If I find something else I'll inform you.
Best Regards, Yuriy

k said...

i agree...japanese-italian is the greatest invention. if you could call it that. i also like japanese-french baked goods. the best!

i definitely use pietro dressing...i do the shoyu and the sesame ginger. though, i've been meaning to get the ume one. :)

prettysmartideas said...

The potato salad looks inteesting... I am always excited when I find a raw potato recipe... but...
when I clicked on the sesame/miso dressing link, it did not go through. I would like to try the potato salad with that recipe-- as far as I know, that might be what makes the recipe worthwhile.
How can I get that recipe? Could you send it to me, or else post it in full to your blog and let me know?
thanks

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis