Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Comfort Zone Part I



This morning I woke up to the sound of my alarm on full blast. It was some 50 cent song that immediately got me aggravated and prompted me to bring the gavel down on it, like Gallagher on a watermelon. As I shut my eyes again, another sound was audible -- the satisfying sound of rain patting the ground and at the same time, giving my car a well-needed wash.

If I was still in elementary school, I knew a good day would be ahead of me. Almost all play, and NO school work. Indoor recess. Pure bliss. Fast-forward another 15 years, and like most of us, we have to deal with the drudgery of work. It’s rainy days that make me miss all the comfort food we had in our younger days. My favorite was the generic 3-for-a-dollar Mac n’ Cheese. How can one forget the rock hard elbow pasta that can dent walls with a single toss, artificial/instant cheese that probably could’ve gotten you high, and the smell of freshly grounded CARDBOARD. Mmmm. No, this isn’t Velveeta – it’s too cheap to be Kraft or Velveeta. Only the privileged got that brand, but I still love my parents regardless.

As soon as I got off work, I headed down to the market with Mac n’ Cheese on my mind. I know a lot of people love it Southern style – baked in the oven with a field of bread crumbs over it. Not me. I love it cheesy and creamy. This is my first time making it. Please let me know if you have any ideas for improving this comfort food. I first melted some butter and added flour to make a roux. I then added some whole milk and let it boil. I added a block of mild cheddar cheese and a few slices of provolone (thanks to Gary!). Salt and pepper to taste. Add a few scoops of cheese on the macaroni and mix it up. Garnish with parsley, pepper and a little hot sauce. Enjoy.

7 comments:

lewisprice27927171 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daily Gluttony said...

mmm, LOVE me some mac n'cheese! i've never actually made it myself (post for another day), but you know who has decent packaged mac n'cheese is trader joe's. their white cheddar mac n'cheese still has that boxed ghetto nostalgic feel, but the white cheddar makes it a little less ghetto. you can add fresh ground pepper & hot sauce to it to spice it up.

BoLA said...

Mac n'Cheese. Hehehe...I'm the Cheese...LOL!

I love making it from scratch along with some BBQ Chicken. (Part of the country that came back with me from the Midwest.)

I start it similar to yours on the stovetop, but without a whole lot of butter. I use cornstarch instead of flour - same idea though, and add some paprika too. And yup, in the oven it goes along with some homemade BBQ chicken too - and I make it saucy b/c I like to goop it up. Sprinkle extra cheese and paprika on top, bake for about 30-45 minutes til golden brown and bubbly. Mix some of the BBQ sauce along with the Mac n'Cheese when you grab a spoonful to eat, and oooOOOo...it's SoooOOo yummy!

sarah said...

Tabasco ;)

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Thank you ladies. It seems like everyone has a liking for a spicy kick to the palate. I'm gonna try either cayenne, nutmeg or paprika next time. kristy, i had heard that M&C is good with chicken. yours sounds really good.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

ok, i took everyone's suggestion in adding some hot sauce. omg, my mouth is on fire. jesus! but it's so good!

Ching said...

You are truly an artist with many expressions to display your vast creative talents. Sandy and I will definitely have to take a few cooking lessons from you, as everything on your website looked amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis